Tuesday, April 10, 2007

63 days to go...

If you read the crew bio page on our website, you'll see that I was suckered into crewing for the Team Beat Cancer two person Race Across America team by none other than George Vargas, one of the two riders that we will be supporting on this adventure. He offered to let me stare at his lycra clad butt for a week and I thought that sounded like fun?!?!?!? I don't know, looking back, I may or may not have been hitting the bottle a little bit the night that I agreed to that. I'm committed now and there's no backing out, so he'd better put on a good show, or I'm demanding my money back. ;)

So...here's how it's supposed to go. Two riders, six crew members...wait. Back it up. We only have what? Three crew commitments? RAAM is when? 63 days from now? Crisis number one. 63 days out we have three solid crew commitments. We're all pretty bad-ass if I do say so myself, but we can't do the work of six and safety for the riders dictates that we need a crew of at least six to pull this off. Our fearless leader Rick says not to panic yet, but I'll admit that I'm doing enough of that for the entire team. You see, I've emailed countless numbers of cycling clubs in the area, and even expanded my search to outside of southern California in hopes that I can find three more people who want to spend a couple of weeks in a cramped SUV and motor home, being harassed by cranky riders and stinky fellow crew members while traveling slowly from Oceanside, Ca. to Atlantic City, NJ. Why that isn't appealing to the masses, I'm not sure. Why doesn't anyone want to spend all that time with me? I swear that I don't smell...yet! There's still time and if I have to I'll start stalking the local colleges in search of young slackers that have no job and want to go on a road trip. It's not ideal, but hey...if you have a drivers license and can read a map, you're okay in our book at this point.

Let's move on because if there is a crisis number one, then surely, you're thinking...there's a crisis number two, right? Of course there is and it's the almighty dollar. We need more of them. We're at bare bones now and can afford to get there, but we might be eating donated Power Bars along the way. By the way, please don't tell any potential crew members that I said that. ;) Again, our fearless leader says that there is still time to beg for money, and really, it isn't that bad, I'm sure that we'll have real meals...we just need some wiggle room in the budget for unexpected expenses that we will incur along the way. So...at this point I will shamelessly add the expense fund link so you can open your heart and your wallet to help us out. C'mon...you know you want to!

Could there possibly be a crisis number three? Say it ain't so. While some people wouldn't consider this a true crisis, I regret to inform you that I've been named crew chief for the time being. STOP LAUGHING! NOW! No really, you need to stop laughing, you're hurting my feelings. :( See now, I was hoping that we would attract some experienced RAAM crewperson that we could stick with that title. Someone that we could blame when things go wrong. Basically...someone other than yours truly. This could go one of two ways...either I'll be replaced by a more suitable alternative or I'll be the one taking the blame for all of the misadventures. Either way, this blog will keep you informed of my fate.

In closing my inaugural post, I beg you to send money or your firstborn (if they can drive and read a map) to help us out!

3 comments:

tprevost said...

B... I donated finally 8-)'

trac'

Cycle Mama said...

YAY!!!!!! Thank you Trac'...you're the best! :)

J Fischer said...

In complete honesty, I think it would be a completely cool to be a crew member and would love to do it if I had the opporunity to drop everything for that length of time. My hat's off to you for donating that much time and effort to a good cause.

- cuda2k